[Sca-cooks] More eating of fresh fruit evidence

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 13 22:42:04 PDT 2001

In glancing through George Lang's _Cuisine of Hungary_ I saw this.

On page 10:
"One of the earliest records of housekeeping of a monastery is the
thirtteenth-century manuscript from the monastery of Pannonhalma,
which tells among other things, that they had thirty-six cooks
preparing the daily meals.  From the daily expenditures we can see
that the greatest expense was for sturgeon and other fish; there was
no meal without fresh fruit, honey, wine and barley ale."

I'm not sure how we know that the fresh fruit was eaten that way
and not just bought that way, though.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net