[Sca-cooks] Viking cookbook

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sun Sep 23 11:25:24 PDT 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:38:50 -0400 "Linda M. Kalb"
<lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu> writes:

>3. What are (and/or where can I find) the following and what do they
>look
>and taste like:

>b.) swedes

      Swedes are rutabegas.  They were developed in Sweden in the
nineteenth century, and are related to turnips.  They are *definately
not* period for Vikings.

>4. Where/how does one get nettles?  What do they taste like?

     Urtica dioica (stinging nettles) have been found at Viking era digs
in Ribe, Denmark; Earl's Bu, the Orkneys; Svalbarth, Iceland; and York,
England.  These and other greens would have been eaten particularly in
the spring as a source of vitamin C.  The number and variety of this type
of plant makes *me* think that they were not eaten just as 'starvation'
food.  I have not eaten any of them.

    I have been working on food for a demo at the end of October, Inga.
It would be appropriate for Viking era settlers in the British Isles
*only*; but I can send it to you.  (It's sort of long).  I compared it
with food at Ribe, Denmark; Haithabu (Hedeby) now in Germany; and a place
called Archsum.

    Finally, I had to spell 'Svalbarth' wrong.  I have a creaky e-mail
program that will not translate non English characters.  It should end
with a character that looks like a crossed d.  The English equivalent for
this letter, as far as I understand is a varient on the 'th'-sound.

    Elizabeth