[Sca-cooks] Viking cookbook

Linda M. Kalb lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 24 11:38:50 PDT 2001

Please forgive me if this has been asked before (if so, please direct me
with a link to past responses) but I have some questions about the "Viking
Cookbook" I found at the American Swedish Historical Museum gift shop on
Saturday.  It is slim (50 recipes) and has beautiful pictures and looks
more like a gift book than a serious cookbook. Publisher is something like
SFG and it is published in several languages (English, Norwegian, Danish,
Spanish, German, maybe others).

1. It is not documented (i.e, no direct references to primary sources for
recipes are listed).  Does this mean it's no good for SCA purposes?

2. For those who have seen it, how accurate and reliable do you think it is?

3. What are (and/or where can I find) the following and what do they look
and taste like:
a.) bilberries (picture on facing page looks like blueberries)
b.) swedes (apparently a kind of root vegetable.  In the picture facing the
vegetable recipes, what might be peeled, chopped swedes look yellower than
regular potatoes but *not* orangey like yams or sweet potatoes)

4. Where/how does one get nettles?  What do they taste like?

5. What (if any) are acceptable substitutions for the aforementioned
ingredients?

There is one other unfamiliar ingredient whose name escapes me at the
moment (something like montecoast or mangetoast) so I'll have to email
about that later.

Thank you very much for any help or insight you can offer.

YIS
Inga/Linda