[Sca-cooks] flying to Pennsic

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 27 23:24:29 PDT 2001

Maire proclaimed:
> > Well...if *I* were making the soup the it would most certainly have marzipan
> > crutons!
> > Olwen
>
> Hey, how about Pennsic next year? This might actually be the thing that
> gets me there, instead of staying home and complaining about _not_
> going....although who knows what the airline restrictions will be like
> next summer? I can just _see_ trying to explain SCA camping gear and
> garb to some random baggage inspector.....;-P

Most of your baggage has to get checked anyway. May main concern with
the extra security is over things like having emergency food/snacks
since I'm diabetic and having my essential medicines in carry-on
baggage. Since Pennsic is eleven months away I imagine they will
have things running smoother by then.

You can also ship some of your stuff to Pennsic. This was the first
year they've allowed you to ship it directly to Pennsic and it was
much better than my previous methods. I've flown to Pennsic for the
last four years, made possible by folks on this list and now my
SPCA household. I've always shipped an extra trunk of stuff to
Pennsic for around $30 each way.

If anyone wants information on how I've managed various things and
details on how to fly to Pennsic, feel free to email me rather than
taking up time here.

If you'd like to read some interesting stories about crossing
national borders with SCA gear and garb, check this file in the
SCA-STORIES section of the Florilegium:
border-stories-msg (36K) 1/ 9/97    Crossing international borders for SCA
                                      events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/border-stories-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net