[Sca-cooks] Jellied Moose Nose-Long

LadyAngustias at aol.com LadyAngustias at aol.com
Thu Sep 27 23:46:31 PDT 2001

Here is what I have from my Alaskan cookbook:

     Jellied moose nose is a sourdough specialty known and enjoyed only in
moose country.  It is not easy to prepare, but, like head cheese, is a
worthwhile delicacy.
     1.  Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the eyes.  Put it in
a large kettle of scalding water and boil it for 45 minutes.  Remove it and
plunge it into cold water to cool.  Pick the hairs from the nose as you would
the feathers from a duck (the boiling loosens them), and wash the nose
thoroughly.
     2.  Put the nose in a kettle and cover it with fresh water.  Add a
sliced onion, a little garlic and pickling spices and boil it gently until
the meat is tender.  Let it cool overnight in the cooking liquid.
     3.  In the morning take the meat out to the broth and remove the bones
and cartilage.  You will have two kinds o meat: the bulb of the nose is
white, and the thin strips along the bone and jowls are dark.  Slice the meat
thinly, pack it into a high-sided glass dish and cover it with juice.  You
may add salt, pepper, or other spices to the juice if they are needed.  Some
people add vinegar to suit their own taste.  Refrigerate.  The mixture will
jell, and when it is firm, can be sliced for cold serving.

And for your further pleasure I also have recipe for Moose Tongue Stew :P