[Sca-cooks] peppercorns and black salt

Morgana Abbey morgana.abbey at juno.com
Sun Sep 2 12:56:36 PDT 2001

The reason there are so many reports of allergic reactions to pink
"peppercorns" is because they are ivy berries.  Care to guess how many of
the afflicted are allergic to poison ivy?  --Of course, I recently read a
recipe which claimed pink peppercorns are grains of paradise.  (Nope, the
contents of the bottle in my fridge labelled "grains of paradise" do not
look pink.)

Incidentally, I only learned this because I know someone who's family
grows them for the restaurant industry.

Morgana