[Sca-cooks] peppercorns and black salt

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 2 15:08:41 PDT 2001

Adamantius answered my questions about peppercorns and said:
> > Were brined/pickled peppercorns available/used in period Europe?
>
> If yes, I assume they were rare, given the comparative difficulty of
> shipping heavy jars of brine from the Far East, as opposed to sacks or
> boxes of dry spices. I suspect it would be considered fiscally ineffective.

Yes, that would be my thoughts on the subject and why I said Europe and
not the Middle East. But sometimes my assumptions are wrong, so I wanted
to check.

Muiredach mac Loloig commented:
> The "black" salt I've seen and used before was simply sea salt where all
> impurities hadn't been removed.  May not be the same.

This is what I remembered from previous comments here. I have a hard
time tasting the differance between sea salt and the regular salt, but
we will see if I can taste a differance here.

Thanks to both of you for the info on how I might best use the green
peppercorns vs. the red or black and how I might best use the brined
vs. the dried peppercorns.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net