[Sca-cooks] More Cherry wines

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 4 04:32:55 PDT 2001

 As promised here are more cherry recipes.

Rebecca Price's The Compleat Cook, or the Secrets of
a Seventeenth Century Housewife [ed. by Masson, 1974]
contains recipes for "curant wine with balck cherrys
in it", p.297, two recipes for "red cherry wine", p.299,
and one for "black cherry wine" p, 300. One for "cherry
brandy" is on p. 305. The mss. collection is dated 1681.

As to why there are cherry wine recipes in the 17th century,
I finally located a reference early this am. C. Anne Wilson
in Food and Drink in Britain indicates that these various
home grown fruits were increasingly made into wine as sugar
became cheaper and more available in the 17th century.
Moreover, it should be remembered that cherries are also a short
season fruit, so making cherries into any wine or conserves
takes immediate production of the fresh fruit. They were also
favoured as one of the fresh fruits that were consumed raw.
 I hope this answers more of the questions.

 Johnnae llyn Lewis
 Johnna Holloway