[Sca-cooks] peach pit molds, period utensils

Dunbar, Debra debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com
Thu Sep 6 09:49:25 PDT 2001

	 Olga writes:
> Thanks for the references- not really what I meant, though.  More a matter
> of What do y'all need?  Pipkins? Clay griddles/frypans? Unglazed jugs?
> Culinary molds of specific size/type/shapes?  :)  Among other things, I
> hope
> to learn more about exactly how the utensils are used- "form follows
> function", so the more I know about cooking techniques, the better my pots
> will work.

	 I picked up a clay cooking pot at an oriental grocery and am
experimenting with it.  It's poorly made - the lid doesn't fit nicely, and
it just looks sloppy in construction.  I'd love to have a variety of clay
cooking pots - unglazed on the outside and glazed on the inside.  With
little feet to get it up off the ground so I can push some coals under it.
It would need a small hole in the lid to allow steam to escape, and seal
tight enough that I wouldn't worry about ashes getting inside when I stack
coals on top.  The lid should be flat and have a lip to hold the coals on
top, and should have a little handle with a hole so I can hook it and take
the lid off to peek.  I'd like two handles on either side of the pot to lift
it out of the fire.

	I guess it could be pretty and glazed on the outside too - although
I'd hate to have a pretty pot get all burnt-looking in the fire.  I like the
idea of cooking with clay pots - they don't rust if they get left out in the
rain, you don't have to season them, and they don't discolor food.

	Wrynne