[Sca-cooks] peach pit molds, period utensils

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Sep 6 13:34:48 PDT 2001

Olga replied to me with:
> Hi Stefan.
> Yep, got your order, and a new batch of molds are currently drying- hope to
> fire this weekend.  (Yours too, Ilaria!)

Wonderful! And thanks for the note on how to keep the marzipan from
sticking. While I will try the marzipan, I was also thinking of using
the molds for sugar paste.

> Thanks for the references- not really what I meant, though.  More a matter
> of What do y'all need?  Pipkins? Clay griddles/frypans? Unglazed jugs?
> Culinary molds of specific size/type/shapes?  :)  Among other things, I hope
> to learn more about exactly how the utensils are used- "form follows
> function", so the more I know about cooking techniques, the better my pots
> will work.

Well, I thought some of the commentary that was in the untensils-msg
file
and similar files might help on how they would be used.

"Unglazed jugs"? How big? A gallon? Two? Since the liquid would saturate
these, I was wondering if you used just plain water, whether this could
be used to cool the water through evaporative cooling? Would this work
at Pennsic with its sometimes high humidity?

While having a spout at the bottom would be nice, I'm not sure such
an item would be period. Although maybe a cork would work well enough?
Maybe the idea best would simply be a dipper with a long handle on it.

So do you make an appropriate unglazed jug? If so, how much money
for it? I guess shipping might be a problem. I'd have to consider
how much I'd use it before next Pennsic or whether to pick it up
there.

Thanks,
  Stefan