[Sca-cooks] peach pit molds, period utensils

Jennifer Whitbeck jbwhitbeck at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 14:12:59 PDT 2001

--- "Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com>
wrote:
> "Unglazed jugs"? How big? A gallon? Two? Since the
> liquid would saturate
> these, I was wondering if you used just plain water,
> whether this could
> be used to cool the water through evaporative
> cooling? Would this work
> at Pennsic with its sometimes high humidity?

My 2cents - I think this might actually work. A sports
club I used to go to in Madrid used a clay jug for the
group's drinking water. I think it was pretty humid
(or maybe I just remember feeling humid from sweating
too much all the time!).

The long and the short of it was that the water
actually did feel cool (not very cold, but definitely
pleasantly cool). Again, this could be a matter of
perspective.

> While having a spout at the bottom would be nice,
> I'm not sure such
> an item would be period. Although maybe a cork would
> work well enough?
> Maybe the idea best would simply be a dipper with a
> long handle on it.

I don't know how period it is, but my clay water-jug
encounters involved one "spout" (hard clay, no
mechanics, more like a nipple, I guess) near the top
of the jug with one or two handles, also near the top,
by which you lifted the jug and tried your best to aim
the water into your mouth. This spout was never corked
(the hole was around an eigth of an inch in diameter),
and I don't remember where the hole was to actually
fill the jug with water, or whether or not that hole
was corked... I saw a lot of similar designs
throughout Spain.

Gosh, now you've got me thinking of doing that for
next year...