[Sca-cooks] The passing of a cook

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 10 07:48:48 PDT 2001

another common and well-known Justinism is:

I garawntee . . . .

He peppered hisa shows and public appearances with quaint stories of back-home type people, in the Bayou country usually.  He was always a story-teller/Bard in the many things he did in his public life.

niccolo

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Sue Clemenger wrote:> Sorry to display my  ignorance, but who's Justin Wilson?
> --Maire, just back from a really _lonnnnnggggg_ SCA weekend...

Justin Wilson was (is?) an ancient and venerable Cajun gentleman who,
among other things, brought Cajun in particular, and general Southern to
some extent, cooking to the world via a fairly famous television series.
He was kind of an old-fashioned-looking man with a gray moustache, just
a touch like a Manly Wade Wellman character, until he opened his mouth.
Generally very unpretentious: he would say things like, "I gots to see
if this yee-ah wahne is gooood. [Guzzle] Yep. It _is_ gooood. I gone put
some in this yee-ah pot. Now this yee-ah dish call for red wahne, an dat
because red wahne is dee kind of wahne dat Ah like."

Trademark Justin Wilson behavior would include sloshing alcohol of any
kind into dishes until it looked right to him (read, "plenty"), while
pretending to measure carefully [Slosh slosh slosh. "You wan add about a
quawtuh cup." Slosh slosh slosh. "Dat look about right." Slosh. "Dat
look like a quawtuh cup to you?" Slosh.]

And then, of course, he had his famous "HOOOOOOOOOO Boyyyyy! Dat eat
goooood!"

I haven't seen anything of him in years, myself, but I'll miss him anyway.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com