[Sca-cooks] Re: Pennsic Iron Chef Results

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 10 13:25:36 PDT 2001

I do not argue with your comparison.  I personally do not base my personal cooking standards of performance and historical value (and my own realistic contribution to the espoused though vague goals of SCA, Inc.) on what the athletes are doing on the field or what the weavers are doing at their looms.  I find that what fighters are doing in armour and tennis shoes usually has little to do with my craft and success as a historical ccok.

Some people use the general argument that "if the comtumers are using Rayon (tm), then I can use corn on the cob", or some such similar construction.  I tend to make my decisions and evaluations in my craft based on my own personal ethic and decision as to how far I am willing and able to challenge myself on a given day or with a given project.  (Feeding 200 a 4 course feast without a little LP or natural gas is more than I am willing to step towards today, though).

niccolo difrancesco
<gotta push the envelope, or frozen wholesale club lasagna and SPAM will make an embarrasing come-back>

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> All I have to say on the subject is:  you get the heavy weapons fighters to giveup rattan, duct tape and nowadays, the kydex and we'll talk.

Selene, Caid

<<<SNIP>>> The important question is whether the SCA is standing on ethical ground when it promotes nonperiod activities as a lure to expand membership in lieu of period activities which are equally fun and in keeping with the organization's purpose, IMO. The purpose of which is not to have 'fun' as is so often stated but rather is educational in nature. Education while having fun is fine but both can be accomplished within a historical context.>>>>