[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson statements

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Sat Sep 15 14:32:19 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tara" <tsersen at nni.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson
statements

> > Now if someone could only explain to me why the Catholics are not
considered
> > Christains................................................

Catholics consider an
> awful lot of texts (i.e. the writings of Thomas Aquinas,) to be holy
> writs, which is antithetical to Protestants who consider only the New
> Testament to be the word of God.

Umm, no. Protestants (being one myself) believe that the _Old_ and New
Testaments to be the word of God, and while the councils' writings are good
commentary, they aren't Scripture.

Catholic rites such as the Host are
> considered magical or otherwise un-holy in some views.

The main problem with the Communion is the debate over the ideas that bread
and wine actually becoming the body and blood of Christ, or if it is simply
a feast to remember what Christ did for us. (I won't go into the whole
augrement, as it really has no end to it)

The rest of the post is snipped as it's accurate as far as I understand the
difference. There is a lot more to the debate, but this is the cook's list,
not a religious debate list (although those are out there too)

Beatrix of Tanet

---