[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson statements

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Sat Sep 15 15:22:52 PDT 2001

> Umm, no. Protestants (being one myself) believe that the _Old_ and New
> Testaments to be the word of God, and while the councils' writings are good
> commentary, they aren't Scripture.

Not all Protestants.  That's why so many Bibles are printed with only
the New Testament.  The Old Testament is often considered to be only a
history, albeit an important one.  But, the only Word of God are
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and the rest of the NT is considered close
enough to the source (Jesus) to be worthy of being called Scripture.

> The main problem with the Communion is the debate over the ideas that bread
> and wine actually becoming the body and blood of Christ, or if it is simply
> a feast to remember what Christ did for us. (I won't go into the whole
> augrement, as it really has no end to it)

Many Protestant sects, including Lutheran, which is the church in which
I was raised, do practice Communion.  It's a matter of approach to it,
though.  They do not believe in transsubstantiation.

These two points, raise the issue of - no two Protestant sects believe
the same, either.  Many really hard-line Protestants would consider more
liberal Protestants to be un-Christian, too.  Kind of like bin Laden's
belief that liberal Islamic countries are just as evil and worthy of
destruction as the US.

All of which is why I'm an extremely dogmatic Agnostic.  :P~~~*

-Magdalena