[Sca-cooks] apple pies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 17 08:33:36 PDT 2001

Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:
> So, as I was snacking on dried apples this morning (the bf left them at my
> house, thus by Pixel's Second Law they are mine) and I was wondering if
> you could make pies out of dried apples. I always buy apples to make pies,
> and then by the time I get to making the pie I have to buy more apples
> because the first batch has gone moldy-slimy-squishy. If I dried them (or,
> more properly, had the bf dry them) they would be there when I had time to
> bake.
>
> So, has anybody made pies with dried apples?

I think there's a recipe in William Woys Weaver's "America Cooks", which
is actually more about American folk art in re food containers and
utensils than about food. He has a fairly large section on drying as a
fairly common American preservation method for apples, and I'm pretty
sure there's a dried apple pie in there somewhere.

Now it only remains to find the *&@#* thing.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy