[Sca-cooks] apple pies

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Mon Sep 17 20:27:08 PDT 2001

"Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com> wrote:

>So, has anybody made pies with dried apples?
>
>Margaret FitzWilliam

I've made one, which has been wildly successful each time.  The dried apples are cooked in cider until they "reconstitute," and then are baked into a crust.  It's definitely not period (in fact, I got it from Gourmet magazine), but it certainly possible to make pie using dried apple.  It's delicious too :-)  If anyone is interested in seeing the recipe, here it is:

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=15712

Speaking of apples, my new house came with a large apple tree in the backyard.  But I can't figure out what type of apple they are!  They turn a streaky red, they're a bit starchy and not over-sweet - very good for eating, and ok for cooking but not that great.  (They retain their texture but not their flavor.)  Does this sound familiar to anyone, or can anyone suggest how I find out what breed they are?  (It's more to satisfy my roommate's and my curiousity than anything else.)
Thanks,
Vittoria