[Sca-cooks] apple pies

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Sep 19 19:23:05 PDT 2001

> Speaking of apples, my new house came with a large apple tree in the backyard.  But I can't figure out what type of apple they are!  They turn a streaky red, they're a bit starchy and not over-sweet - very good for eating, and ok for cooking but not that great.  (They retain their texture but not their flavor.)  Does this sound familiar to anyone, or can anyone suggest how I find out what breed they are?  (It's more to satisfy my roommate's and my curiousity than anything else.)
> Thanks,
> Vittoria

This sounds like the only apple that the apple tree in my mother's
backyard has ever produced. Mom calls it a summer apple. The tree was one
of those five variety types, five different varieties on one trunk, of
which three trunks actually produce apples. They're all like what you
describe.

We've only made jelly with them, and it was pretty uninspiring jelly at
that. Otherwise they usually get eaten raw, or they fall on the dog.

Margaret FitzWilliam