[Sca-cooks] Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway.. .

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Tue Sep 18 12:36:57 PDT 2001

I'd said
>>Kiri, are you sure about all that? The sumptuary restrictions, I believe,
>>are
>>_customs_, not Corpora, and vary from kingdom to kingdom. >

And Maddelena replied with a list of registered badges in the Society
O&A.

There was a discussion a while ago within the College of Arms, if
memory serves, about those badges. If I remember correctly, there was a sort
of consensus that those were registered badges - but not registered sumptuary.
If Lord William Williamson registers "Or, a maunch gules" as his
badge, that does _not_ mean no-one may ever again make garb with a
red sleeve.
I also vaguely remember that there was going to be an attempt to shift
some of those items over from badges/heraldry to items/sumptuary, but
I cannot now remember if 1) anything was actually done about it, and 2)
which items were so shifted.
But if it has been done, I believe it's still something sort of vaguely
regulated (but not at all enforced) by the College of Arms, and not
by Corpora. I believe.

<sigh> (I have _got_ to refresh my memory on these things some day.)

So, anyone ever have roasted pelican in a laurel sauce?

Alban