[Sca-cooks] Authenticity..now pears/apples

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 19 10:10:58 PDT 2001

I think that there is probably a strongly rooted tradition
of trading them back and forth in recipes, depending upon
what one had a surplus of in the larder or on the tree. Given
that we in the US are far more likely to grow apples or have
orchards near us, we are less likely to do as much with pears
as was previously done in prior centuries. Today of course there
are canned pears and pears in fruit cocktail, but at the same
time we don't can apples commericially in those quanities. I
suppose that makes pears somewhat more exotic for coming out of
a can...

Johnna Holloway

Sue Clemenger wrote as-Maire..[...snipped off all but the food part]