[Sca-cooks] Question to the group...

Jacquetta at aol.com Jacquetta at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 05:03:51 PDT 2001

Since it was my comment about living in Niagara Falls that started folks
wandering from food to weather, I feel I should weigh in before our balmy
clime here is further maligned.
Interestingly enough - folks believe we get snow!  <its a national weather
channel conspiracy> <<grin>>
Actually, tho', here in Niagara Falls, 20 miles north of Buffalo, we get very
little snow during the course of a regular year.  In fact, in last year's
famous "Blizzard" at Thanksgiving, once I left the city and arrived home, we
didn't have enough snow to shovel from the drive.  My best friend who lives
12 miles further north still had grass showing though the snow.  Our kids
feel "cheated" because they never get "snow days" like the kids in Buffalo
get.
On a food note, however, I would have to agree with the folks who argue that
peasant cultures do change.  In Buffalo, there is a real food culture built
around hearty comfort foods that appeal to appetites stimulated by shoveling
mountains of snow.
Jacquetta