[Sca-cooks] REC: LARDED MILK... please read all the way through

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 24 19:12:54 PDT 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> --
> Unfortunately I cannot eat dairy products.  But reading your discription, it
> sounds absolutly WONDERFUL!!!!
> (Of course my grandparents (of blessed memory) are rolling in their graves
> because of the bacon part.  LOL!!)

Yeah, and frybeef jut wouldn't cut it. Fortunately, as I say, there are
a number of recipes that are very similar, but simply omit the bacon.

> Phillipa
>
> Master... would soy milk or rice milk curd up, do you think?  I know it
> doesn't coagulate when I try to make pudding with it.  I have to load it with
> corn starch.

It might, given that this coagulation is done with eggs (can you make
custard out of soy milk?) rather than with rennet. Bean curd is done
with some kind of chemical, something like gypsum or calcium chloride,
so I'm not sure if soy milk would curdle with eggs. However, since the
eggs themselves can curdle anyway, it might work. I'm not sure, though.

Tell ya what: take some slices of bean curd, stick them with cloves and
pine nuts (or, if you're allergic to nuts, maybe just cloves), fry and
sprinkle with sugar, and see if you think it's worth proceeding with an
experiment with some eggs and some soy milk.

Adamantius--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com