[Sca-cooks] Yuan Chinese Cookery class at Pennsic

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Tue Sep 25 20:22:40 PDT 2001

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig! As I recall, she referred to a number of
the standard sources for early Chinese cuisine.

The books that you need to look for are

A Soup for the Qan - Buel and Anderson
Food in Chinese Culture - K. C. Chang
and Anderson's book, which is off in a box at the moment, and
I can't recall the title at the moment.

The earliest extant Chinese Medical Manual was actually written
in Japan. It is called the Ishinpo. Unfortunately, only about
five volumes of it have been translated into English. All thirty
some odd values are available in translation into modern Japanese.
There are quite a few interesting sections relating to food in
the Ishinpo. As I recall, there is a section on pasturization of
various liquids including water and milk.

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir
					Amateur Scholar
| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|		   techie.com, msn.com				      |