[Sca-cooks] OT Volcano (was Bidding for Count Gunthar)

Phil Anderson phil at dev.spis.co.nz
Wed Sep 26 22:25:31 PDT 2001

Irmele wrote:

> May I mention Toba in Sumatra, that erupted 74,000 years ago. It was ten
> thousands times bigger than Mt St Helens [...]
>
> Yellowstone National Park is an even larger supervolcano [...]

Those seem to be the two biggies. Taupo is in a fairly similar league,
but a bit smaller according to most sources. (It also does relatively
frequent "small" eruptions.)

Huette wrote:

> > interesting documentary about Krakatoa earlier this
> > year which said that, while its eruption during the
> > 19th Century was huge, its previous eruption was the
> > "world's largest volcanic eruption", in the 14th
> > Century,

Naturally, all the figures are based on estimates rather than actual
measurements, which presumably explains sources differing on
which have been the biggest eruptions. Some do say that the 14th C
Krakatau was a bit bigger than the 2nd C Taupo, but it's definitely
not a candidate for largest-ever.

>> They labeled
> > Krakatoa the most dangerous volcano in the world.

That depends on local geography, populations and frequency of
eruptions more than simple explosive power.

> > Me, I say ALL volcanos are dangerous and should be
> > kept at a distance.

The ones in Western Seas seem pretty predictable and undramatic.
Just goes to show the range of choice in Caidan geology...

Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard