[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #693 - 22 msgs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 28 11:02:52 PDT 2001

Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

>>>When you open the car door to get out and go into the site and the smell
>>>gives you a 10 minute coughing jag, there's a touch too much garlic...   We
>>>went to an inter-kingdom 12th Night many years ago and were hard pressed to
>>>get up the nerve to go inside.  If it had not been a 2+ hour drive, we might
>>>have turned around and gone home.
>>>

>>Actually, I have a very simple criterion for "too much garlic". When it comes out of the eater in his/her body aroma, instead of simply their breath, that's too much garlic.
>>
>>Adamantius
>>

> That's really only too much garlic for someone who isn't consuming
> it. That's why my garlic soup recipe is very clear that both halves of a
> couple need to partake, if they cohabit.

You don't live in a place that has public transportation, do you? ;  )

Y'see, what you seem to be discussing is a pleasant, but powerful,
garlic aroma, and basing your idea on the premise that there is no such
thing as too much of a good thing. What I'm referring to, albeit a bit
obliquely at first, is a stench that is clearly identifiable as having
garlic as its source, but which really doesn't smell exactly like
garlic. More like the old kim chee reek that Stefan used to go on about,
and when it stops being the simple smell of food, and becomes more like
the nitrogenous poopy smell of the lion house at a badly cleaned zoo,
that's a problem.

As I say, I have no problem at all with the smell of garlic on somebody's breath, and I can see how a garlic soup would be better shared, and not even necessarily awful if not shared. I cut my teeth on brandade, on skordalia, on rouille and aioli, on garlic confit. Provencale is my favorite non-Asian cuisine. I am by no means a garlic-hater, I just hate it when people's sweat droplets come out shaped like cloves of garlic.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com