[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #693 - 22 msgs

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Sep 28 11:28:01 PDT 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> >>Actually, I have a very simple criterion for "too much garlic". When it comes out of the eater in his/her body aroma, instead of simply their breath, that's too much garlic.
> >>
> >>Adamantius
> >>

> > That's really only too much garlic for someone who isn't consuming
> > it. That's why my garlic soup recipe is very clear that both halves of a
> > couple need to partake, if they cohabit.
>

> You don't live in a place that has public transportation, do you? ;  )

Heh. I grew up in Chicago. 'nuff said.

> Y'see, what you seem to be discussing is a pleasant, but powerful,
> garlic aroma, and basing your idea on the premise that there is no such
> thing as too much of a good thing. What I'm referring to, albeit a bit
> obliquely at first, is a stench that is clearly identifiable as having
> garlic as its source, but which really doesn't smell exactly like
> garlic. More like the old kim chee reek that Stefan used to go on about,
> and when it stops being the simple smell of food, and becomes more like
> the nitrogenous poopy smell of the lion house at a badly cleaned zoo,
> that's a problem.
>
> As I say, I have no problem at all with the smell of garlic on somebody's breath, and I can see how a garlic soup would be better shared, and not even necessarily awful if not shared. I cut my teeth on brandade, on skordalia, on rouille and aioli, on garlic confit. Provencale is my favorite non-Asian cuisine. I am by no means a garlic-hater, I just hate it when people's sweat droplets come out shaped like cloves of garlic.
>

> Adamantius

What we're disagreeing on, I think, is the difference between too much
garlic for *me* to consume vs. too much garlic for *you* to consume and
then stand next to me on a crowded bus.

Being *inside* the garlic as opposed to being *outside* the garlic, as it
were.

And yes, for someone who doesn't live on a steady diet of garlic, I
agree that that acrid garlic-sweat smell is really too much garlic.

Margaret FitzWilliam