[Sca-cooks] Soapstone, was: Marble slabs

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sat Sep 29 18:19:51 PDT 2001

    If you do a search for New World Soapstone, they have a website for
their soapstone.  They are a soaptone quarry in Schuyler, VA, and their
main production is for counters and floors.  We went to get tailings (I
needed loomweights) and talked to a gentleman who was making bowls out of
the stone.

   Many warp-weighted looms' weights were actually broken soapstone pots.
 Soapstone was a main export from Scandinavia in the Viking era
specifically for cook pots and lamps.  Unlike the earthenware or clay
pots, the soapstone can come in contact with the fire.

   When I went to pay for my bag o'rocks, I saw part of a price list.
Almost $30.00/square foot for counter top.  The main building there
(dates from the Civil War era) was made of soapstone in the manner of the
stone fences that don't use mortar.  Very cool!

   Elizabeth