[Sca-cooks] smoked fishies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 1 04:12:07 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Hmmm. And I imagine that the "smoked sable" you mention is a fish,
>right? Not the animal raised for it's fur.

Smoked sable is the smoked version of a fish that is becoming
increasingly popular in its fresh form under another name: Arctic
Char, a.k.a. Chilean Sea Bass. It is neither arctic, nor a char, nor
Chilean, nor a bass. It also is not a cod, strictly speaking, (it
_is_ part of a Pacific family of codlike fish) although once upon a
time it used to be known as black cod or rock cod. It _is_ sort of
blackish in the skin, though, which may be why it is called sable.

Marketing hoopla notwithstanding, it is a fine fish, flaky and
mild-flavored, but rich with interleaved layers of gelatinous/fatty
stuff (not as bad as I'm making it sound) that prevent it from drying
out. Because it is very forgiving when overcooked, it's the perfect
restaurant fish. You can either overcook it, or cook it properly and
let it sit under a heat lamp while you saute that tenderloin you
forgot about, and it remains moist for quite a while. Also, because
it is large, it can be served as steaks or fillet and only the most
incompetent diner needs to think about choking on bones. Its richness
also makes it quite filling.

BTW: it's also good smoked ;-)

Adamantius