[Sca-cooks] Pineapples was (Whole to ground spice equivalents)

Wed Apr 3 08:53:24 PST 2002

It would probably be more correct to use pineapple in a Spanish or
Portuguese feast of the same date rather than Tudor or Elizabethean.
Pineapples were found primarily on the mainland in Brazil.  They show up in
Europe around 1517 contemporary with the explorations of the South American
coast.

Some sources credit Christopher Columbus with bring pineapples to Europe on
his first voyage, but I haven't found snything to support that.

BTW, pineapple was also used to describe pine cones.

Bear