[Sca-cooks] floor mats for fighting, dancing

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 4 23:49:27 PST 2002

Nichola Buscelli said:
> > Then we have to pay for wear and tear on the
> > mats, too. (If we could buy a used portable dance floor, that would work,
> > but we can't rent one because we would damage it.)
>
> Ok the only reason I mentioned the mats in the first place was because
> it had been brought up as an item before hand... However....
>
> 2 suggestions for "mats".  Hit up a carpet supply store or send your
> fighters looking for someone remodeling their house. Snag their old
> throw away carpet.
> If the fighters want to fuss about the work remind them that this is for
> them!!! Roll it out at the site and then duct tape the hell out of it.
> Duct tape will not hurt most of the floors that would require a mat.
> For the ones it would hurt, then that sight won't work for fighting.
> 2nd suggestion... yep I did say 2... I had several doubting Thomases on
> this one at first... but make a cardboard mat.  Yes it works. Yes it can
> be fought on.  No it is not slippery. (No worse than that sacred floor
> we are protecting).  This one came under close scrutiny for me as I was
> using it at an event where there was to be an indoor fight and dancing.
> Both dancers and fighters and marshalls walked the floor trying to trip
> and could find NO fault in it. I can send instructions for making a mat
> this way if you so desire. It is rather inexpensive. The cost being tape
> and paint.
> And wear and tear on it is simple to fix just get a new box...

How about writing up an article describing these two solutions, how
you have managed to make them work, the techniques used and any
problems that had to be overcome, etc. Then sending it to me to put
into the Florilegium. I think this might be useful to folks trying
to locate useable sites.

Even in areas where inside fighting is a rarity, as you mention,
these techniques might be useable for dancing as well.

Stefan
(You get the credit and keep the copyright. I just want to make it
available.)
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net