[Sca-cooks] Whole to ground spice equivalents

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 09:48:28 PST 2002

>In a message dated 3/31/2002 7:35:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>goldberg at bestweb.net writes:
>
> > ISTR learning (from Alton Brown, I think) that cinnamon is one of the
> > few spices best bought powdered, as it is nearly impossible to grind the
> > bark adequately at home. I could be mistaken, of course, but I'm sure I
> > heard that someplace.
> >

>Hmm.  I was given, as a gift, a box containing real cinnamon chips and a
>little crystal container with a crank grinder.  Mind you, it doesn't powder
>the chips like commercial ground cinnamon, but it comes out about the
>consistency of coarse-ground pepper.  Of course, that may be more a
>function
>of the grinder than the cinnamon.
>
>Brangwayna

Hi all.  Hope everyone is well and happy.  It seems like forever since I got
to play on this list but I have a few minutes today.

Anyway..

I grind all my cinnamon and faux cinnamon (I have both) in a grinder
reserved for only this spice.  I cann't recall the brand at this time but it
is a feed through the top and it funnels down to the blades and comes out in
a nice little removable container.  I get a really nice powder.  I find that
grind on demand gives a fuller flavor.  I tend to keep the sticks in a
sealed bag in the freezer just like I do coffee.

BTW, has anyone got any idea how to actually _make_ peeps?  It seems there
is some interest around the studio on figuring this out.  I thought if we
started with "FLUFF" and added more geletin it may work well enough.  Any
ideas?

Oh.  Johanna is safe and sound down here in Maryland.  See is seeing Kiri
for a museum trip on the morrow and I shall get to meet her on Weds.  She
wants to go to Resaturant Depot.  Go figure.
Olwen