[Sca-cooks] OOP, OT _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 4 06:21:28 PST 2002

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>It serves as the societal basis in most of L. Neil Smith's science fiction.
>
>Having read The Machinery of Freedom, I find the idea interesting, but a low
>probability for implementation.  It requires a major shift in the general
>societal paridigm.  Of course, such a shift occurred a little over two
>hundred years ago, leaving this country with a society which balances
>between anarchy and facism.  The fact that the US is acting as an imperial
>power could trigger another shift.

Is it even six months since suggestions were made, and in some cases
adopted, that The First Citizen be granted new powers, just to see us
through the current emergency?

(Sorry, I live in a city where the mayor openly attempted to break
term limit laws he himself wrote, in order to stay in office "just to
prevent the unecessary turmoil that a change in administration would
inevitably cause in this current state of emergency". We did manage
to avoid civil war, though, when Caesar, instead of being
assassinated, took a line from Sulla and retired to write his
memoirs, but, in Caesarian fashion, leaving, effectively, his adopted
son to rule in his place. Ave, Caesar Augustus!)

Adamantius