[Sca-cooks] Southern cooking, was yippee - oop, ot

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 21:14:08 PDT 2002

--- A F Murphy <afmmurphy at earthlink.net> wrote:
> But, but, you know, even I eat grits! (And even
> sometimes black-eyed
> peas, though that's not a regular on my table. ) And
> I'm not exactly
> Southern... I think you all know by now that I'm a
> real live New Yorker!

Well, grits and black-eyed peas are pretty bland.
Adamantius told me about cooking red-eye gravy, too.

But, those are minor. After all, you Yankees need to
try good food occasionally.....

Never yet met a Yankee who could make proper fried
chicken, fried okra and green tomatoes, or BBQ- you
just don't have the background. And most of y'all
think bacon grease and lard are to clog your sinks,
and collard and other greens to decorate with, a la
Martha Stewart....

Never mind, making good biscuits and corn bread (what
in HELL is it with the sugar y'all put in it?).

You're just culturally, and dietetically deprived, and
thereby depraved. I don't think a Yankee alive can
smoke a ham right, or cook it right after it's
smoked.....

Ah, well. Keep looking out the front door for that
poke weed to come up. Any day now, with the weather as
it is.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,