[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at therock)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 12:10:19 PDT 2002

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     Given the high (er) percentage of gays in the entertainment field and
> the high(er) levels of creativity generally associated with them, why have
> gay relationships been presented is such lights?

Because the studio heads were not usually gay, nor were [most of] the millions
who thronged to the cinema who paid for it all.  "Whose bread I eat, his song I
sing" was the byword of the studios, then and now.

On the other hand... Showtime, catching on to the popularity of "Queer As Folk,"
is planning blocks of gay-targeted programming in the coming season.

Why so few villians who are gay/disabled/green with purple polka dots/whatever?
Because the studios are tired of getting complaints from the
gay/disabled/green/whatever lobby organizations, that's why.

My esteemed husband grumps frequently about being the last minority that's OK to
bash, the white male.  I disagree, not as long as fat jokes still get laughs.  I
can only laugh at John Pinnette though, he's one of us.  His routine about the
"all you can eat buffet" still cracks me up [Aha, food content!]  You're allowed
to joke about your own kind, after all!

Selene, Caid,
rubenesque!