[Sca-cooks] chipmunks was Re:Chickens

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 15:17:21 PDT 2002

I used them when I taught preschool. One fall, we had an influx of mice
(construction in the lot next door.) Well, there are several things
that, by law, you cannot have in a daycare. Mechanical traps. Poison.
Mice... so, glue traps.

What we did was take the poor thing out of the classroom, drop it in a
small plastic bag, and tie it with as little air as possible. Figured
that, of all the choices, suffocation was most humane. Removing it was
not an option, because of the children.

In my home, luckily my cat is not a believer in catch and release. She
kills quickly and neatly. And I haven't seen a mouse since about a month
after she came here! It took a while to get them away from the closets
and cupboards, so I would leave them open for her to check out at night.
That took care of it!

Anne