[Sca-cooks] Cuisine of Scotland

James Gilly / Alasdair MacIain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Fri Apr 12 15:30:55 PDT 2002

At 01:11 PM 4/10/02 -0700, Giovanna wrote:
> > > While we're on something similar... what sort of regional specialties
>would anyone recommend trying when in Scotland?>>
>I was in Scotland not too long ago.  Try Haggis.  I used to think haggis was
>the most utterly disgusting food ever(having seen it being made), but when I
>tasted it, I was quite surprised at how good it was!

Wonderful stuff!!  I usually got it at a chip shop (usually alternated
fish-and-chips and haggis-and-chips), but it's even better served with
neeps and tatties.

>Other things to try:  Scottish oatmeal, heather honey (bring lots back if you
>are a brewer), sausage eggs (a/k/a Scottish eggs), pork pie (although found in
>England, it can be found in Scotland too).

I'll second the Scotch eggs, too.

For true modern Scottish cuisine, stop off at a chip shop and try the
deep-fried Snickers bars....

Can't say a thing about Edinburgh restaurants, though if you like Scotch,
the Whisky Heritage Centre is just down the hill from the front gate to
Edinburgh Castle.  (It's on the right as you walk down the hill.)  I lived
over on the west coast, so I usually went to Glasgow when I needed to visit
a big city.

Alasdair mac Iain

back after a couple years' respite, though I see the list is just as
high-traffic as ever