[Sca-cooks] Germany in PA... silly meal thoughts (mostly NOT OP)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 17:57:04 PDT 2002

--- jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> Ok, guys, now that I have begun to crawl out of the
> slough of despond-and-
> not-bapping-people-who-richly-deserve-it, I have to
> come up with bright
> ideas to keep my little brain busy (other than the
> dayboard/courtboard bid
> for our War Camp, which Excel will do for me).
>
> There is some talk about doing a Schola next year,
> and me doing food. Hm.
> Well, every time people come to our area, they gush
> about PA German food.
> At least some parts of it.
>
> So, says little Jadwiga Foofoo, why don't we come up
> with a menu that has
> a PA German flavor and is mostly period foods? I've
> gotten as far as pork,
> sausages, Rumpolt's pickles, and pies of great
> variety. Other ideas?
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Never having been in PA, I am not sure what
constitutes "PA German flavor".  But I do know German
food.  Add to your list Roladen [aka Olives of Beef],
Sauerbraten, Rotkohl, Sauerkraut, eel, rabbit,
lebkuchen, doughnuts.  Possibly spätzle, but this
isn't documentable.  The rest are.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.