[Sca-cooks] Germany in PA... silly meal thoughts (mostly NOT OP)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Apr 24 07:34:05 PDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> Ok, guys, now that I have begun to crawl out of the slough of despond-and-
> not-bapping-people-who-richly-deserve-it, I have to come up with bright
> ideas to keep my little brain busy (other than the dayboard/courtboard bid
> for our War Camp, which Excel will do for me).
>
> There is some talk about doing a Schola next year, and me doing food. Hm.
> Well, every time people come to our area, they gush about PA German food.
> At least some parts of it.
>
> So, says little Jadwiga Foofoo, why don't we come up with a menu that has
> a PA German flavor and is mostly period foods? I've gotten as far as pork,
> sausages, Rumpolt's pickles, and pies of great variety. Other ideas?
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Hmmm. Racking my brains to remember (haven't been to visit the relatives
in too many years)...

Scrapple, dried corn, pickled beets, funeral pies (raisin pies, can't
stand 'em), funnel cakes, schnitz und knepp, shoofly pie, rivel soup,
mincemeat pie, apple butter, apple crisp, rhubarb pie, stewed rhubarb,
baked apples, stewed apples, sand tarts, chicken pot pie, saffron cake,
cucumber salad, red cabbage. Lots of things with corn, sweet potatoes, or
white potatoes. Stuffed pig's stomach. It's very PA Dutch to use saffron.

Some of these have period parallels. Funnel cake, for instance. I was just
paging through Sabina Welserin, and many of her recipes are similar to PA
Dutch recipes. Something like a stewed apple tart, maybe, or a custard
tart.

Margaret