[Sca-cooks] Germany in PA... silly meal thoughts (mostly NOT OP)

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Wed Apr 24 07:51:39 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Germany in PA... silly meal thoughts (mostly NOT
OP)

> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
>
> > Ok, guys, now that I have begun to crawl out of the slough of
despond-and-
> > not-bapping-people-who-richly-deserve-it, I have to come up with bright
> > ideas to keep my little brain busy (other than the dayboard/courtboard
bid
> > for our War Camp, which Excel will do for me).
> >
> > There is some talk about doing a Schola next year, and me doing food.
Hm.
> > Well, every time people come to our area, they gush about PA German
food.
> > At least some parts of it.
> >
> > So, says little Jadwiga Foofoo, why don't we come up with a menu that
has
> > a PA German flavor and is mostly period foods? I've gotten as far as
pork,
> > sausages, Rumpolt's pickles, and pies of great variety. Other ideas?
> >
> > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
>
> Hmmm. Racking my brains to remember (haven't been to visit the relatives
> in too many years)...
>
> Scrapple, dried corn, pickled beets, funeral pies (raisin pies, can't
> stand 'em), funnel cakes, schnitz und knepp, shoofly pie, rivel soup,
> mincemeat pie, apple butter, apple crisp, rhubarb pie, stewed rhubarb,
> baked apples, stewed apples, sand tarts, chicken pot pie, saffron cake,
> cucumber salad, red cabbage. Lots of things with corn, sweet potatoes, or
> white potatoes. Stuffed pig's stomach. It's very PA Dutch to use saffron.
>
> Some of these have period parallels. Funnel cake, for instance. I was just
> paging through Sabina Welserin, and many of her recipes are similar to PA
> Dutch recipes. Something like a stewed apple tart, maybe, or a custard
> tart.
>
> Margaret

Yeah, anything fritter or funnel cake like will go over well - my canton did
an Italian feast, and one of the dishes in the first course was Ricotta
Fritters, loosely based on Platina's Imperial Fritters - everyone loved
them, and aside from the logistics of getting them to the table hot, they
were fairly simple...

Generys