[Sca-cooks] The tastiest grape leaves

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Apr 23 21:22:27 PDT 2002

>--
>I grow several kinds of grapes and have sampled some of the leaves,
>but none are as good what I have tasted in restaurants for stuffed
>grape leaves of various sorts.
>
>What are the best kinds to grow for their leaves?
>
>Any preparation tips?

I'm not sure that the type of grape matters.  It does matter that
they haven't been sprayed. Pick them in spring as soon as they are
big enough, they get tougher as they get old. Blanch them in boiling
water and drain immediately.  You can freeze them for later at this
point.

I used leaves from a wild vine growing at the back of my garden at a
previous house.  It never bore grapes, but the leaves were fine.   I
always thought homemade stuffed grape leaves were better than
restaurant ones.

Do you want recipes too?

Ranvaig