[Sca-cooks] Fried Onions was (baked cheese dishes)

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 27 16:23:33 PDT 2002

<Quoth Stefan>
> Are these onions breaded? And what size and type of onions will
> you be using?

Greetings,

You and your leading questions Stefan! ;) I am using the below translation:
PARA HAZER CEBOLLAS ENTERAS EN CAZUELA EN DIA DE QUARESMA

To Make Whole Onions in Casserole on a Lenten Day

Source: _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599

Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

Take the white onions, and sweet ones, and the bigger they are, the better,
and make them cook in water and salt, in such a manner that they are well
cooked, and take them out and let them cool and drain, and puncture them
with the knife, so that the water will come out better, and being drained
moisten them with a bit of cold water, and flour them, and put them in a
tart pan with enough hot olive oil that they will be more than half covered,
and give them fire below and above, turning them several times, and being
cooked serve them with oil and cinnamon on top.  You can also cover with
garlic sauce and green sauce.

My first experiment I used a Spanish onion. I think I might have gone a bit
overboard because I got the largest onion in the batch at the grocery
store - it weighed 1 1/2 pounds. I top, tailed & peeled it then boiled it in
salted water for 35 min (until I could poke about halfway with a wodden
skewer.) I then poked it with a knife & let it drain for about 20 min.
Patted it with cool water & rolled it in flour until well covered. Put a
massive amount of olive oil in a duch oven & put it into the oven @ 300
degrees. I waited until it got up to about 250 degrees & then got impatient
and put the onion in anyway. Fried on that side for 5 min, turned it & let
it fry for 5 min and again and again for a total of 20 min.

Next time I am going to use a smaller onion thenit will not need to be
boiled as long. Next time I will let the oil get to 300 degrees before I put
the onions and hopefully it will crisp up better. But all in all I think it
will work nicely. Each table will get 3 medium sized onions instead of one
giant onion. I really doubt that medieval farmers copuld produce 1 1/2 pound
onions.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

PS: I know that Brighid is on this list, but I know not where you live. If
you are anywhere near Meridies you should know that the bulk of Sunday Night
feast at Kingdom A&S is coming from recepits that you have translated. Great
Thanks to you!!!