[Sca-cooks] Re: Caramel Laura Secord

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Apr 28 08:33:04 PDT 2002

At 06:18 AM 4/28/2002, you wrote:
> > You know, you can turn Eagle brand milk into decent caramel just in and of
> > its own...  Put it in a large pot of boiling water and let it cook a
> > while.  It caramelizes in there as is :-)
>
>Isn't that the Hispanic dessert called "dulce de leche"? And isn't it more a
>caramel-flavored pudding than a caramel? (To me "a caramel" has to be
>something you pick up with your fingers and have to chew like blazes.)

I don't know about the hispanic, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they
made it.  I've come accross it in France, in Senegal, and in
Australia.  But since I haven't travelled much to South America or Spain, I
haven't come accross it there! :-)

I think that your definition of caramel is a little limited :-)  Caramel is
actually "burnt" sugar.  Whatever form it takes is still caramel.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka