[Sca-cooks] sauce help

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 1 09:26:38 PDT 2002

> > CAZUELA DE SALMON
> [snip]
> > You must take the clean and well-washed salmon,
> > and put it in a casserole
> > with your spices which are galingale, and a
> > little pepper and ginger and
> > saffron, and all of this well ground, and cast
> > upon the fish with salt, and
> > a little verjuice or orange juice, and let it
> > go to the fire of embers, and
> > then take blanched almonds and raisins and pine
> > nuts and all herbs.  That is
> > moraduj, which is called marjoram, and parsley,
> > and mint, and when the
> > casserole is nearly half-cooked, cast all this
> > inside.
> I'm glad you like the recipe -- it's one of my favorites as well.  (It's
on
> the menu for my next feast).  I'm curious, though... why do you grind the
> nuts?  And do you grind the currants also?  My interpretation is that
sauce is
> a thin liquid, speckled with the chopped herbs and the nuts and raisins.
I do
> use slivered almonds rather than whole.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain

Greetings,
And my interpretation is even more different:
1/2 t - Galingale (fresh)
1/4 t- Pepper
1/2 t - Ginger (fresh)
12 - 15 - Threads Saffron
1/2 t - Salt
3/4 C - Bitter Orange Juice (got it in a Farmers Market in the Hispanic
section 100% Seville oj)
1 T - Fresh Mint
2 T - Fresh Marjoram
2 T - Fresh Parsley
1/4 C - Pine Nuts
1/4 C - Ground Almond
1/2 C - Chopped Rasins
1 Side - Salmon

Combine first 5 spices. Put salmon in an oven safe pan that has a lid. Pour
orange juice over salmon and then sprinkle spice mixture over fish and pat
in gently. Cook covered at 300 degrees F for 13 minutes. Wash and chop mint,
marjoram and parsley to a medium size and mix well with almonds, pine nuts
and raisins. After 13 minutes remove fish from oven and spread herb/nut
mixture evenly over the fish. Return to the oven for an additional 7 to 10
minutes or until done.

I served this at a feast and it went over explosively. Even the kitchen help
was fighting over the chunk that I held back for the kitchen. I was out
doing the rounds of the tables & someone stopped me to ask if there was any
more salmon. I popped my head into the kitchen and asked the crew huddled
around the end of the serving area and they all said - with their hands
behind their backs - NO!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva