[Sca-cooks] Grains for Feast? - Menu question

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 2 09:26:42 PDT 2002

Generys ferch Ednuyed wrote:

> Could I see the translation of the original recipe? I'd like to play with
> the redaction too, as it sounds like another recipe I like...
>
> Thanks,
> Generys

I don't know what version Serena was using, but I found this one online at
http://www.lewis-kappes.com/LK/Pompeiiana/AncientRomanFeasts/96on_dir/96on_35.htm

Globes (Globi)
  Puffy little balls of cheese and flour, deep-fried in olive oil, soaked in
honey,
  and sprinkled with poppy seeds—the best ancient “dough nuts” around.
  1 cup all-purpose flour
  1/4 cup dry ricotta cheese
  1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
  1/2 cup water, lukewarm
  olive oil
  1/2 cup honey
  1/4 cup poppy seeds
  1.     Put the flour and cheese in a mixing bowl. Blend well with the
finger tips until it has the consistency of corn meal. Mix in the dry yeast.
  2.     Pour the water into the flour and cheese mixture and blend well.
Let rest 3 minutes, then sprinkle with a little flour and knead until smooth
and
  elastic. Do the kneading either on a lightly floured surface or in the bowl.

  Return the dough to the bowl (if necessary). cover with a towel, and let
rise 1
  hour.
  3. Remove the risen dough from the bowl and roll into a sausage
shape 1-inch thick. Cut the dough into 10 pieces, roll each into a ball, and
  sprinkle lightly with flour.
  4.     Pour enough olive oil into a deep pan so that it will float the
globes
  (about 1-1/2 inches deep). Heat the oil. Drop a few of the globes into the
hot
  oil and cook until golden brown all over. Remove the globes when finished
and
  drain the clinging oil. Cook the others.
  5.     Pour the honey into a bowl, and turn the globes in the honey until
  covered. Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with the poppy seeds, and
serve
  when they have cooled.
  Note: Dry ricotta cheese is available at any Hickory Farms Store.
                                         :
                                                          YIELD 10