[Sca-cooks] Re: Regional names for common egg dish

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 10:39:10 PDT 2002

>For various reasons, I would suspect these are more of American
>rather than European origin, at least in the form I've encountered
>them in. If I had to guess I would say they were probably
>Depression-era truck-stop cuisine. I expect others on this list have
>encountered these. What do you call them?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Adamantius, whimsical this morning
I learned how to make these out of my very first cookbook.  It was a
kid-friendly thing, sold at my grade-school rummage sale.  Lots of big print
and small words, and easy recipes.  Stuff was called "bunny in the hole"
(More appetizing than toad, I suspect.)  The best part was the little cut
out piece from the middle, buttered and toasted in the pan.

Vicente
(one of the few things from my childhood I'm nostalgic for)

If you get into a jam, you can always eat something, blow something up or
throw penguins. --Jim Henson