[Sca-cooks] Spices

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 23 18:52:41 PDT 2002

So I went to the Pepperer's Guild, and now I have Long Pepper, cubebs,
galangale, blade mace, and I don't remember what else... So now what do
I do? :-\

I remember Phlip, I think it was, suggesting using them in simple every
day dishes to get an idea of the flavor, which I think is a great idea,
and which I will try.  But these are all whole spices. Any suggestions?
Should I be grinding them up, or cooking them whole at the beginning of
the process (the way I do cumin and black mustard seeds, for example)?
What kind of foods are they most apt to complement? How much am I apt to
want in one dish? (I'm usually cooking single servings, just to
complicate matters... I look at the long pepper and wonder if I need to
start with little pieces thereof.) Do I best grind them all in a mortar
and pestle (don't worry, I have one, and a suribachi, too, if anything
needs a little more, um, persuasion) or does anything need different
treatment (as, for example, nutmeg?)

Mace and (real) stick cinnamon are not totally unfamiliar, so I'm not as
concerned about them. But I haven't the first clue what the others are
like. All suggestions welcome!

Anne