[Sca-cooks] Bagna Calda and Pesto was Re: Scappi

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 12:36:42 PDT 2002

Selene,
I can browse through the chapter indexes for you
tonight.  It may be that the dishes in question may be
found under the description of savore (relishes) or
salsa or cuiro.  I recall (of the top of my head, and
with the Scappi at home) green sauce of some
description.  I'll have a look but make no promises.
Helewyse
I know Italian food but precious little of the Italian
language. Could you folks who are reading Scappi be on
the look-out for these favorites, or their ancestors:

Bagna Calda [Frequently cited as a "16th Century
Christmas Dish" but I've never managed to document it]
Pesto Sauce  [Aresty cites Scappi for this, but
goodness only knows how the original actually read!]

Thanks,
Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net