[Sca-cooks] keeping produce fresh

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Thu Aug 1 08:47:50 PDT 2002

>   I thought maybe if I put a thin layer of ice on the bottom of the cooler
>and then raised the veggies above somehow that might work.  Then I thought
>maybe you all have some ideas.

     There are now blue-ice-type blankets that you freeze and put across the top of the stuff in your cooler.  I think that might work better than ice in the bottom, as cool air falls.  If the cold stuff is all at the bottom the food at the top might be warm.  Of course the blanket could crush things like spinach.  I've only seen these, but never used them, so I have no idea how effective they are.

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu