[Sca-cooks] Silly Smellers was Re: perfume and stuff

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Aug 1 19:01:29 PDT 2002

At 01:01 AM 8/2/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Funny (not), but peoples bodies do the oddest things in self defense.  I
>have almost completely lost my sense of smell.  It doesn't take care of the
>entire problem, but has cut back on the frequency and sieverity of asthma
>attacks.  I get these lucid "smell" moments and I run wildly from person to
>person and item to item just enjoying the smell of them.
<snip>

Ok, now I'm really odd. I've been, well, smelling things that aren't there.
Couple of days ago, I could have sworn there was cobbler in the oven. There
wasn't- and I was the only one home. Later teh same day I thought I was
smelling a gasoline engine. I was sitting at teh computer, mindin my own
business, and I know it wasn't something on my clothes, because I drive a
diesel! Yesterday, I was wotking on-line, and suddenly smelled something
floral- strongly- and I realized it was the old-fashioned Jergens hand
cream I was smelling. I went all over the house, thinking one of the cats
had knocked over a bottle of perfume or something. Nothing. And the weird
thing was, I haven't seen that hand cream in years. I could close my eyes
and be back in my mom's room, with her rubbing it into her feet and elbows,
smearing the extra on my hands... I'm beginning to think I'm losing it.

Smell and memory are so closely linked for me- I can remember what my
Grandma's house smelled like. I remember what school smelled like on the
first day back. And the smell of a newborn baby's head is incredible (and
makes me want another one, even though I can't). And you don't want to know
what happens when I get a whiff of sweaty fighters (clarification- they
have to be clean before they get sweaty- sweat on top of dirt is gross).
What happens is something I can't discuss on a family e-mail list! (James
just laughs at me).

So Olwen, ya wanna trade?

'Lainie
sniffly in An Tir