[Sca-cooks] Silly Smellers was Re: perfume and stuff

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 1 21:00:51 PDT 2002

>At 01:01 AM 8/2/02 +0000, you wrote:
> >Funny (not), but peoples bodies do the oddest things in self defense.  I
> >have almost completely lost my sense of smell.  It doesn't take care of
>the
> >entire problem, but has cut back on the frequency and sieverity of asthma
> >attacks.  I get these lucid "smell" moments and I run wildly from person
> >person and item to item just enjoying the smell of them.
><snip>
>
>Ok, now I'm really odd. I've been, well, smelling things that aren't there.
>Couple of days ago, I could have sworn there was cobbler in the oven. There
>wasn't- and I was the only one home. Later teh same day I thought I was
>smelling a gasoline engine. I was sitting at teh computer, mindin my own
>business, and I know it wasn't something on my clothes, because I drive a
>diesel! Yesterday, I was wotking on-line, and suddenly smelled something
>floral- strongly- and I realized it was the old-fashioned Jergens hand
>cream I was smelling. I went all over the house, thinking one of the cats
>had knocked over a bottle of perfume or something. Nothing. And the weird
>thing was, I haven't seen that hand cream in years. I could close my eyes
>and be back in my mom's room, with her rubbing it into her feet and elbows,
>smearing the extra on my hands... I'm beginning to think I'm losing it.
>
>Smell and memory are so closely linked for me- I can remember what my
>Grandma's house smelled like. I remember what school smelled like on the
>first day back. And the smell of a newborn baby's head is incredible (and
>makes me want another one, even though I can't). And you don't want to know
>what happens when I get a whiff of sweaty fighters (clarification- they
>have to be clean before they get sweaty- sweat on top of dirt is gross).
>What happens is something I can't discuss on a family e-mail list! (James
>just laughs at me).
>
>So Olwen, ya wanna trade?
>
>'Lainie
>sniffly in An Tir

I have random smells and limited smell, usually the things I am trying like
hell to avoid, but I know what you mean.

I love the smell of honest sweat.

I have clear memory of the smell of the sea.  And the smell of caves.

Hell, since I was just a tot, it had to smell *everything* before it went in
my mouth (or pocket)!  Half of my initial opinion of everything was based on
smell.  That is one reason why I run around like a crazy person when I have
these 'lucid smell' moments!  Trust me, if those moments happen when I'm not
around folk that know me, it is quiet interesting!

BTW...AN TIR..I did the Arms...I think they are the BEST I have ever done.
Olwen, smelling impaired, again...